One of the first things to take a drastic change in my eating, was my grocery shopping. WHAT YOU SHOP FOR, IS WHAT YOU EAT! I know, sounds like common sense. But I don't think we realize how important this phrase is. If you buy it, you will eat it. Whether it be for your kids (fruit snacks, candy, sugared cereal), your husband (pop, burgers, chips) or yourself (ice-cream, brownies, CHOCOLATE). If you buy the treats, you will eat them.
I don't have kids, and I have no idea how hard or easy it is to raise them on healthy foods. I only know how hard it is for ME to eat healthy, I can't even imagine how hard it would be to make my kids eat some of the foods that I have to eat. But one time talking to the nutritionist she said, one of the biggest mistakes parents make is buying healthy food for themselves, but letting the kids eat junk food. I can see that, because already I'll buy foods that I like, and Brad will buy ice-cream for himself or pop, leaving it almost impossible for me to resist. So I literally had to beg him to help me be strong by eating those things without me knowing. HA! I know, sounds ridiculous, but it had to be done. So what I've done, is get a count of the TOP 10 HEALTHIEST FOODS to buy at the grocery store, help make it easier for you to know what is healthy. So here we go:
1. Berries- Berries are extremely rich in antioxidants which help protect the cells in our bodies from damage and therefore from diseases like cancer. Among other things they are also an excellent source of Vitamin C and soluble fiber. Blueberries might help reverse the short term memory loss that often comes with aging.
2. Broccoli- Broccoli (and other calciferous vegetables like cauliflower and cabbage) helps fight cancer, especially breast, colon and lung. It boosts the immune system. Broccoli also contains antioxidants and a substance called sulforaphane, which research is showing to be a powerful cancer fighter and preventer.
3. Citrus Fruits- The citrus bioflavanoids (absorbstion of Vitman C)in oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruit have anti-cancer and antioxidant properties. Many of these citrus bioflavanoids have also been shown to have anti-inflammatory and blood clot inhibiting abilities.
4. Garlic- Numerous studies have shown that regular consumption of garlic can lower our blood pressure. It also prevents the blood from being overly sticky and decreases LDL cholesterol (the "bad" one) while increasing the good HDL cholesterol.
5. Nuts- Walnuts and Almonds are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, a special type of fat that is essential for our bodies, but that the body cannot produce. Omega-3 essential fatty acids protect us against heart disease.
6. Oats- Oats also help reduce cholesterol. Research shows that one bowl of oatmeal per day can reduce cholesterol by up to 23%. Oats are also considered an excellent grain for diabetics as they have less impact on blood sugar levels than some other grains.
7. Salmon- The Omega-3 fatty acids in salmon and other fatty fish may help prevent heart disease and stroke by lowering the body's rate of blood clotting.
8. Spinach- Spinach's secret weapon, lutein, makes it one of the best foods in the world to prevent cataracts, as well as age related macular degeneration, the leading cause of preventable blindness in the elderly.
9. Tomatoes- Tomatoes contain high levels of lycopene. Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant and as such helps to protect the cells in our bodies from damage. Also they make you fertile:)
10. Turkey- Turkey is one of the leanest protein foods and is low in calories, making it an excellent healthy food choice. Turkey also contains selenium which has been shown to inhibit cancer development, improve the immune system, and aid in the metabolism of our thyroid hormone.
These super foods are perfect for heart healthy, low fat cooking and most fit perfectly into a low carb lifestyle as well. There not in any kind of order, just the top 10 best foods. So there you have it! Some foods to make a habit to put in our every day meals. Make sure to spend most of your time in the Fruits, Vegetables, Dairy, Poultry and Grains/breads isles at your grocery store, you can never go wrong with those options!